Who We Are…
Providence Church is a local body of Christ-followers located in the greater Daytona Beach area who desire to glorify God by helping believers worship the one true living God in spirit and in truth on a daily basis, and when the Church is assembled together corporately (John 4
by helping believers have love out of a pure heart, a good conscience and sincere faith (I Timothy 1:5; II Timothy 4:1-14);
by providing the opportunities for people to get their relationship needs met, whether it is from the most casual contact to the deepest most intimate issues of the heart (I John 1:3,7);
by helping every believer effectively and faithfully participate with Christ in sharing the gospel by lifestyle and word in our community and the world (Matthew 28:18-20);
and by performing the works of the ministry in a “decent and orderly” manner. (I Cor. 14:40)
* Providence Church is multi-generational – made up of people from different ages and backgrounds, who find their unity in the Lordship of Jesus Christ.
* Providence Church is “Baptistic” in theology and practice and currently cooperates with the Florida Baptist Convention and the Southern Baptist Convention in the support of missions in Florida, North America and around the world.
* Providence Church worship services are designed primarily for the purpose of biblical teaching and personal praise. An emphasis has been placed on worship through music. Leadership feels that music must prepare the heart for receiving God’s Word. The primary method of biblical teaching is through expository teaching, accompanied with practical applications. Services are not designed with a performance, entertainment or spectator mentality in mind. Corporate worship services are not considered “traditional, charismatic, or contemporary” in style.
* Providence Church leadership believes that all principles and practices of ministry must be submitted to God’s Holy Scriptures. In saying this, leadership insists that a clear distinction must be made between traditions, however effective they may have been in the past, and the clear teachings of the Word of God. The creative power of the Spirit of God must be allowed, through the Church’s leadership, to constantly re-evaluate the activities of the congregation. There must be a willingness to discard old programs in order to change to new approaches into which God may be leading. The birthing of new ministries will parallel with God’s provision of proven leadership.
* Providence Church values heritage over tradition. We know there is much to be gained from the great men and women of faith who have gone before us. We value the rich heritage they have left us through their deeds, their words and their music. We do not believe we have all the answers or are in any way superior to those who have gone before us or even over those who minister in other ways in the present time. We will seek to understand our role in the history of the church and impart that heritage to those who come after us. However, we do not feel bound by the successful methods of others in this time or times past. We recognize that the world is changing at a rapid pace and methods that work today may not work tomorrow. We expect God to continue demonstrating His remarkable creativity by showing us exciting and effective strategies to present His love to our community and the world.
* Providence Church stresses the experience of the Lordship of Christ in our daily lives. (II Corinthians 5:15; John 15:1-17) Christian maturity is commanded by Jesus and is made possible when we respond to God’s grace by personally surrendering to Jesus Christ as Lord. We become fully devoted followers of Jesus when we begin to realize the Lordship of Jesus in our lives.
* Providence Church believes that Scripture and its message of God’s redemption of the world through Christ are the church’s authority for faith, life, and ministry. Leadership strives to affirm and carry out the ministries of Providence Church in line with the grand themes of Scripture. These themes include, but are not limited to:
The sovereignty of God
A historical-redemptive understanding of God’s Word and history
God’s mission to save and the church’s key role in that mission
The dignity and worth of all human beings as image bearers of God
Salvation by grace alone through faith
The Holy Spirit as the giver and sustainer of spiritual life
The Lordship of Christ over all of life
The unity and diversity of the body of Christ
Justice and reconciliation as key manifestations of God’s kingdom
Word and deed as inseparable parts of our obedience
Worship as the most important expression of our thankfulness to God
Word and ordinance as central in Christian worship
Christian ministry as encompassing everyday life and work
The hope for a new heaven and new earth
* Providence Church is ministry and mission driven. We believe in the priority of our ministry and mission over our comfort or preferences. We will be willing to live our lives outside of our natural comfort zones in order to achieve these purposes.